With the $89 annual fee due, I had to decide whether or not to keep it or close it. Before making the call, I think my decision had already been made.
I called the number on the back of my card and mentioned how I’d like to close my account. I was then asked why so I explained how I don’t really use the card so I can’t justify paying the annual fee.
The rep said that she understood and placed me on a brief hold as she transferred me over to an account specialist.
A friendly account specialist then got on the phone. I was told how she was sorry that I wanted to close my account after a year. Then, I was told that there was a no annual fee card option that I could be switched to. After the benefits were explained to me, I declined the offer and again asked for my account to be closed.
If I had a decent points balance left in my account, I would’ve considered the no annual fee card. But with just 1,866 points left (worth a $9.33 statement credit which I couldn’t redeem), there was no reason to switch. It isn’t like I’ll use the card in the future.
After closing my card, the rep then asked if I’d like to reallocate the credit to other cards. I accepted the offer.
So how did I use my Barclay Arrival points during the year:
- 40,422 points- $402.22 statement credit for flight to Ireland.
- 17,500 points- $175 statement credit
Have you received a retention offer for the Barclay Arrival card? If so, what was your offer?
If you’re looking to get a new credit card to earn some bonus miles & points, considering checking out some offers here. (If you apply for and are approved a credit card, I may earn a commission. Thanks in advance for your support!)
- A Bizarre Retention Offer
- Barclay’s Lufthansa Card Retention Offer
- Chase British Airways Card Retention Offer
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Retention Offer?
- Citi AA Amex Retention Offer, No Thanks
- BoA Alaska Airlines Biz Card Retention Offer- Really?
- Shot Down: Amex Platinum Retention Offer
- Citi AA Retention Offer: “But We’ll Miss You If You Do That”
- Citi AA Executive Card Retention Offer
- Chase Ink Plus, A Quick & Easy Retention Call
- My Starwood Amex Biz Retention Offer
- Retention? I Closed My Last Citi AA Executive Card
- My Amex SPG Credit Card Retention Offer
- Club Carlson Credit Card Retention Offer? Possibly
- Club Carlson Credit Card Calls About Retention Offer
- Did I Get A Citi American Airlines Credit Card Retention Offer
- Did I Get An AAdvantage Aviator Red Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Plus Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A SPG Amex Business Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Wyndham Rewards Credit Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the AAdvantage Aviator Red Card?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the City National Bank Crystal Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the JetBlue BarclayCard?
- Did I Receive A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Mercedes Benz Amex Platinum Card?
- Did I Get A Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A Citi ThankYou Premier Retention Offer?