Back in 2009, The Guardian named it the best hamburger in the world. The Little Owl is still considered one of the best burgers as it came in #11 on The 101 Best Burgers In America for 2018 from The Daily Meal.
On a recent visit to Manhattan, we decided to head over to The Little Owl to see what all of the fuss was about.
We showed up for brunch but were surprised to stumble across a tourist attraction and it had little to do with the food.I already knew what I’d be ordering but other items on the menu did sound really great, too. (Kim and the kids shared Brioche French Toast with stewed berry sauce.)I ordered the 8oz Bacon Cheeseburger & Fries- American cheese, pickle, sesame seed bun.
It seemed like there was at least one burger on every table. Once the burger arrived, I couldn’t wait to dig in.The bacon cheeseburger comes served open, I left the lettuce, tomato and pickle off and closed it up.I found the burger to be extremely juicy, but I was surprised by the taste. Something was missing here, maybe the meat needed to be seasoned.
The bun was nice and light. It also did a good job containing the juices coming out of the burger.
As for that bacon, it was really thick and I feel that kind of bacon is best eaten on the side (think steakhouse bacon). It’s a bit hard to bite through and chew along with the hefty burger patty.
Overall, I expected to love the Bacon Cheeseburger from The Little Owl. Maybe I arrived with expectations which were just too high. Like I mentioned above, I’d wanted to try their burger for years.
In the end, I found this burger to be disappointing. What can ya do?
The Little Owl is located at 90 Bedford Street in New York City.
Related Burger Posts:
- Louis Lunch- Birthplace of the Hamburger- New Haven, CT
- Heavy Metal Burgers at Kuma’s Corner
- A Great TV Find: Jimmy’s Diner- Brooklyn, NY
- 5 Bizarre Burgers That I’ve Tried
- A Burger Worth Waiting For: Holeman & Finch- Atlanta, GA
- A Burger Masterpiece: Husk, Charleston
- Newark Airport Food Review: Custom Burgers
- A Deli-cious Burger at The General Muir
- Daily Meal’s 101 Best Burgers in America
- A Delicious Award Winning Burger & More at VB3- Jersey City, NJ
- Classic Burgers at the All-American Drive-In
- Is This the Best Burger in Cuba?
- Food Review: Shake Shack’s Bacon CheddarSHACK
- The Amazing French Onion Soup Burger at Le Rivage NYC
- I Won’t Be Making A Habit of Dining At The Habit Burger Grill
- Did Lucas & I Conquer Big Jud’s 1lb Burger in Boise
- The Workingman’s Friend, An Odd But Tasty Burger Experience
- The Awesome Off-Menu Burger at American Cut Tribeca, NYC
- Historic Burger Sliders at White Mana in Jersey City
- You’ll Dig Dining at Mister Dips- Brooklyn, NY
- The Awesome French Onion Soup Burger at Little Prince NYC
- What Should You Order At Salvation Burger NYC?
- Pass On The Steak, Head To Peter Luger For Their Amazing Burger
- You NEED To Try The Big Macher Burger at Mile End Deli
- Bigger Isn’t Always Better, The Cheeseburger at Jackson Hole- Queens, NY
- Food Review: The Cheeseburger At Keens Steakhouse
- Food Review: The Cheeseburger (& Wings) at Old Town Bar in NYC
- Trying The Top Rated Burger In America At Au Cheval NYC