A little over a year back I had reconsideration line success. After a lengthy call, I was approved for the United MileagePlus Explorer card.
After completing the minimum spend to earn the 50,000 miles bonus, I pretty much put the card away. The only time that I use the card is for car rentals since the United MileagePlus Explorer card offers primary rental auto coverage.
The $95 annual fee recently posted so I had an important decision to make- should I keep the card or close it?
If I’m going to pay a fee for a credit card, it better be one that offers some sort of nice annual perk- free hotel night, the ability to earn lots of miles etc…
I couldn’t really justify paying $95 for the United MileagePlus Explorer card just to have primary rental auto insurance the rare times I do rent a car. If I was a consistent car renter, maybe it would be worth the fee…
I called in to Chase and after a brief hold, spoke to a friendly rep. Once the pleasantries were finished, I explained how I was thinking about closing the card. I gave my reasoning for wanting to close- the fee and how I don’t really use the card on a frequent basis.
The rep politely told me how she wasn’t able to waive the fee due to the benefits of the card. The one benefit she mentioned was no foreign transaction fees. I quickly said how this isn’t much of a benefit since many other cards that I have offer this.
I asked if there was anyone else to talk to about a retention offer and was told no.
She then mentioned that she saw how I have other cards with Chase. I was then asked if I would you like to move the credit to one of my other cards. I agreed to this and was placed on hold to see how much of the credit limit could be moved. It turned out that $8,473 could be moved, but she offered to move an even amount.
In the end, no retention offer was mentioned so I closed my account.
Have you received a retention offer for the United MileagePlus Explorer Card? If so, what were you offered?
- A Bizarre Retention Offer
- Barclay’s Lufthansa Card Retention Offer
- Chase British Airways Card Retention Offer
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Retention Offer?
- Citi AA Amex Retention Offer, No Thanks
- BoA Alaska Airlines Biz Card Retention Offer- Really?
- Shot Down: Amex Platinum Retention Offer
- Citi AA Retention Offer: “But We’ll Miss You If You Do That”
- Citi AA Executive Card Retention Offer
- Chase Ink Plus, A Quick & Easy Retention Call
- My Starwood Amex Biz Retention Offer
- Retention? I Closed My Last Citi AA Executive Card
- My Amex SPG Credit Card Retention Offer
- Club Carlson Credit Card Retention Offer? Possibly
- Club Carlson Credit Card Calls About Retention Offer
- Did I Get A Citi American Airlines Credit Card Retention Offer
- Did I Get An AAdvantage Aviator Red Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Plus Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A SPG Amex Business Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Wyndham Rewards Credit Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the AAdvantage Aviator Red Card?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the City National Bank Crystal Card?