Around one year back I received the American Express Mercedes Benz Platinum Card.
The card comes with all of the benefits of a regular Platinum card along with a $100 certificate good for accessories from Mercedes Benz. (We got a few umbrellas and a mug with it.)
When the $475 annual fee posted, I had a big decision to make- keep it or close it.
The card was definitely worth the annual fee for the first year. During that time I received:
- 75,000 Membership Rewards points signup bonus
- $200 airline fee credit (2X)
- $100 Mercedes gift card (2X)
- $15 Uber credit each month (4 months)
Going forward, if I decided to keep the card, I’d get another $200 airline fee credit in 2018, another Mercedes Benz certificate (how many umbrellas do I really need?) and $200 (give or take) in Uber credits.
This doesn’t really seem to be a bad deal considering the card also allows for access to the Amex Centurion Lounges, Airspace lounge, Priority Pass and more.
Regardless, I still didn’t really want to pay the annual fee.
I first inquired about annual fee during a live chat and was told that I’d need to call the number on the back of my card and ask for the retention department. (The live chat can only handle certain issues, retention isn’t one of them.)
I called in to Amex and asked for the retention department. After a quick hold, I had a rep on the line that could possibly help me out.
After explaining how I was thinking of closing my card due to the annual fee, I was asked why I don’t really use my card much! I explained how I use different cards for spend in specific categories etc…
He then asked what I liked about the card so I mentioned a few of the benefits. It was then that the rep started speaking to me in a way that made me feel as though he was mad at me!
He told me that I “like using the services but not [the] card“. He then mentioned how the benefits have a cost…
The rep then told me that if I’d like to keep the card open, I’d have to pay the fee, if not I could close my account.
I responded with something like, no problem- I’ll close.
(I wasn’t concerned about having points in my account since I recently received the Amex Blue Business card which keeps my points in good standing.)
Once card was closed, the rep quickly said goodbye. In the end, I didn’t receive any Mercedes Benz Amex Platinum retention offer but I did receive what felt like a scolding from the rep!
If you’ve recently called Amex for a retention offer, what has your experience like?
- A Bizarre Retention Offer
- Barclay’s Lufthansa Card Retention Offer
- Chase British Airways Card Retention Offer
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Retention Offer?
- Citi AA Amex Retention Offer, No Thanks
- BoA Alaska Airlines Biz Card Retention Offer- Really?
- Shot Down: Amex Platinum Retention Offer
- Citi AA Retention Offer: “But We’ll Miss You If You Do That”
- Citi AA Executive Card Retention Offer
- Chase Ink Plus, A Quick & Easy Retention Call
- My Starwood Amex Biz Retention Offer
- Retention? I Closed My Last Citi AA Executive Card
- My Amex SPG Credit Card Retention Offer
- Club Carlson Credit Card Retention Offer? Possibly
- Club Carlson Credit Card Calls About Retention Offer
- Did I Get A Citi American Airlines Credit Card Retention Offer
- Did I Get An AAdvantage Aviator Red Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Plus Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A SPG Amex Business Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Wyndham Rewards Credit Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the AAdvantage Aviator Red Card?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the City National Bank Crystal Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the JetBlue BarclayCard?
- Did I Receive A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?