Recently, I had a big decision to make about my Citi ThankYou Premier credit card.
When the $95 annual fee came up, I needed to decide whether or not I should keep it or close it.
My first reaction was that this card was a goner. I had previously used up just about all of my points, leaving my account with a miniscule balance of 33 points.
Rather than just close the card, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to see what kind of retention offers might be available.
I called the phone # on the back of my card and it took me over two minutes to get to a real person. Definitely annoying…
I then went on to explain how I wanted to close the account, mainly due to not really using my Citi ThankYou Premier anymore as well as the $95 fee. The rep immediately mentioned that since my concern was the fee, I could convert my card to a no annual membership fee card with Citi. She then said, “is that OK?” I quickly responded, no.
After a silent pause, I was told that I was going to be connected to an account specialist who could assist me better.
Again, I was asked for the reasons why I don’t use the card. I mentioned how I use certain cards for different kinds of purchases etc… The rep then mentioned how I get 3X points on travel, 2X points on dining. She tried to make a big deal about all of the great travel perks included, as well.
The retention offer:
I was told that there was an opportunity to get 1,000 bonus points plus a $95 credit to cover the annual fee if I spend $1,000 per month on my Citi ThankYou Premier card for 3 months.
After hearing the offer, I said something like 1,000 bonus points isn’t really much of an offer. The rep seemed to think that it was a great offer and didn’t have anything else for me.
I passed on this weak retention offer and was then told that I’d now need to wait 24 months for a new card which earns ThankYou points.
Before finishing up the call I was then asked if i’d like to move some of the credit to another account. I didn’t see the harm in doing this so I moved the majority of my credit line to another card.
Have you received a retention offer for the Citi ThankYou Premier card? If so, what was your offer?
If you’re looking to get a new credit card to earn some bonus miles & points, considering checking out some offers here. (If you apply for and are approved a credit card, I may earn a commission. Thanks in advance for your support!)
- A Bizarre Retention Offer
- Barclay’s Lufthansa Card Retention Offer
- Chase British Airways Card Retention Offer
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Retention Offer?
- Citi AA Amex Retention Offer, No Thanks
- BoA Alaska Airlines Biz Card Retention Offer- Really?
- Shot Down: Amex Platinum Retention Offer
- Citi AA Retention Offer: “But We’ll Miss You If You Do That”
- Citi AA Executive Card Retention Offer
- Chase Ink Plus, A Quick & Easy Retention Call
- My Starwood Amex Biz Retention Offer
- Retention? I Closed My Last Citi AA Executive Card
- My Amex SPG Credit Card Retention Offer
- Club Carlson Credit Card Retention Offer? Possibly
- Club Carlson Credit Card Calls About Retention Offer
- Did I Get A Citi American Airlines Credit Card Retention Offer
- Did I Get An AAdvantage Aviator Red Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Plus Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A SPG Amex Business Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Wyndham Rewards Credit Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the AAdvantage Aviator Red Card?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the City National Bank Crystal Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the JetBlue BarclayCard?
- Did I Receive A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Mercedes Benz Amex Platinum Card?
- Did I Get A Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card Retention Offer?