Whenever I cancel a credit card, I usually call in first to see if there is some sort of retention offer. However, I’ve been a bit busy and didn’t want to waste time on the phone.
The annual fee posted for my Delta SkyMiles Business American Express Card and I definitely didn’t want to pay the $95 fee.
I logged onto to Amex account and figured I’d give the live chat a try.
At first I was asked a question or two in the chat feature before getting a chance to talk with a real person.
I then mentioned that I wanted to close my account. Even though I had the page up for my Delta Business account, the rep still asked which American Express card I wanted to close. I then had to answer some questions to verify my identity before we got down to business.
I again mentioned that I wanted to close my account and then had to wait a minute or two before getting a long response.
Typically when you mention that you want to close your account, the rep might transfer you to a retention department or ask why you want to close. Not this Amex rep…
The message stated that he was completing my request to cancel my account along with some other details about the closing. I was then asked if he should go ahead so I then asked if there was any retention offer or way to waive the fee.
The American Express Chat agent responded, “I am sorry. The fee is essential part of the card agreement and services. The fee covers a variety of benefits, features and rewards that are different for each of our Card products.”
So in closing my Delta Business American Express chat, there wasn’t any retention offer but I was able to close my account through the chat feature which was nice.
- A Bizarre Retention Offer
- Barclay’s Lufthansa Card Retention Offer
- Chase British Airways Card Retention Offer
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Retention Offer?
- Citi AA Amex Retention Offer, No Thanks
- BoA Alaska Airlines Biz Card Retention Offer- Really?
- Shot Down: Amex Platinum Retention Offer
- Citi AA Retention Offer: “But We’ll Miss You If You Do That”
- Citi AA Executive Card Retention Offer
- Chase Ink Plus, A Quick & Easy Retention Call
- My Starwood Amex Biz Retention Offer
- Retention? I Closed My Last Citi AA Executive Card
- My Amex SPG Credit Card Retention Offer
- Club Carlson Credit Card Retention Offer? Possibly
- Club Carlson Credit Card Calls About Retention Offer
- Did I Get A Citi American Airlines Credit Card Retention Offer
- Did I Get An AAdvantage Aviator Red Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Plus Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A SPG Amex Business Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Wyndham Rewards Credit Card Retention Offer?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the AAdvantage Aviator Red Card?
- Did I Receive A Retention Offer for the City National Bank Crystal Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the JetBlue BarclayCard?
- Did I Receive A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Retention Offer for the Mercedes Benz Amex Platinum Card?
- Did I Get A Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card Retention Offer?