The Wyndham Rewards credit card isn’t a card that I frequently use so when the annual fee posted I figured that it would be an easy decision to close the account.
It wouldn’t hurt to call in to inquire about a retention offer. However, I never really got a chance to do so.
Let me explain.
I mentioned to the rep that I wanted to close my account. When I was asked why, I stated that I don’t use my card much anymore and didn’t want to pay the fee.
I was then transferred to an account specialist. The specialist said that she didn’t want to lose me as a customer and asked if I had any Wyndham stays coming up. I was also told about all of the card benefits and that it was a good card!
Before I had a chance to ask for a retention offer, I was given an offer. If I spend $1,000 on my card in the next 90 days, I’d then receive 5,000 bonus points. This sounded decent since I’d be 33% of the way to another free night.
However, I said that I’d still rather not pay the fee.
The rep then offered to split the fee and said she could waive $34.50. This was interesting…
While the full fee could not be waived, I was offered the fee to be split along with the offer of 5,000 bonus points for spending $1,000 in 90 days.
I decided to accept the offer and pay half of the annual fee. I figured that with the 5K bonus points and another offer I was considering, I’d then be close to earning another free night. (I currently have enough Wyndham points for 4 free nights.)
So what do you think, is keeping the Wyndham Rewards card open and getting a 5,000 bonus points offer worth paying $34.50 for?
Related Posts: (Some other retention offers)
- A Bizarre Retention Offer
- Barclay’s Lufthansa Card Retention Offer
- Chase British Airways Card Retention Offer
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Retention Offer?
- Citi AA Amex Retention Offer, No Thanks
- BoA Alaska Airlines Biz Card Retention Offer- Really?
- Shot Down: Amex Platinum Retention Offer
- Citi AA Retention Offer: “But We’ll Miss You If You Do That”
- Citi AA Executive Card Retention Offer
- Chase Ink Plus, A Quick & Easy Retention Call
- My Starwood Amex Biz Retention Offer
- Retention? I Closed My Last Citi AA Executive Card
- My Amex SPG Credit Card Retention Offer
- Club Carlson Credit Card Retention Offer? Possibly
- Club Carlson Credit Card Calls About Retention Offer
- Did I Get A Citi American Airlines Credit Card Retention Offer
- Did I Get An AAdvantage Aviator Red Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Bold Retention Offer?
- Did I Get A Chase Ink Plus Retention Offer?