While doing research for our trip, I hoped to see a crater lake in person. Kim and I decided to make it a point to visit Kerid Crater in South Iceland.Kerid Crater is a volcanic crater lake located close to the Golden Circle. After getting out of our car, we immediately noticed lots of very irritating bugs flying around our heads.
We made our way over to the ticket booth, paid our admission fee and then headed up the path to check out the views along the crater. It was an easy circular route up to the top. Good for kids but beware some parts had some loose gravel and were a bit slippery. After a few photo attempts, we found this spot to be the best place to snap photos of the incredible Kerid Crater.While here, I wondered if this rock was natural or placed there for people to sit and stand on top of for photos… It was nice to get a rare family photo. The site had other visitors but it’s so big that it never felt like it was crowded by any means.As you walk around the crater, it’s really cool to see how the views change. I don’t like how the lake looks in this photo but the background scenery is just awesome.I love how you can see how high the walls of the crater are. Some people were taking the path down to the lake. We skipped this as we had a lot of other things planned for the day.
Overall, we really loved checking out Kerid Crater. Hiking around the rim was a fun family adventure! It’s definitely worthy of a visit and was pretty unique compared to other sites we visited around the island.
- 80K Barclay Arrival Miles + $1,825.88= Trip for 4 to Iceland
- Window Seat Open, Do You Ask The Man In The Middle To Move Over?
- I Got The Dreaded SSSS On My Boarding Pass Again, It Really Wasn’t Bad!
- In Iceland Forget The Petting Zoo, Stop & Mingle With Icelandic Horse
- Anthony Bourdain Recommended: Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur
- A Tasty Souvenir From Our Trip To Iceland
- Ridiculous Street Signs #26: For Drying Hands Only- Vik, Iceland
- A Family-Friendly Must Visit: The Icelandic Museum of Rock and Roll
- A Visit To The Sólheimasandur DC 3 Plane Wreck In Iceland With Kids
- Searching For Bobby Fischer In Iceland