A couple of years back I got a great offer for a new American Express card but had to fight to get my 100,000 Membership Rewards points bonus.
Besides the bonus, I also have other Membership Rewards points, some of which were transferred over the years to airlines like Continental and JetBlue.
I still have over 100,000 Membership Rewards points and also recently got approved for a 75,000 miles Amex Gold Business card. (I have not hit the required spend yet so I do not have the extra 75K in my account yet.)
I’ve been waiting for a solid bonus transfer offer to come around for quite some time from American Express. From what I recall, the last time I considered transferring points was probably around a year back.
With Amex currently offering a 40% bonus to transfer Membership Rewards points to British Airways, I am almost ready to make the move.
Odds are, my best option is to transfer my points to BA since I don’t see many other airlines that work for my family’s travel needs.
Since I have a bunch of SkyMiles left, that could be (dare I say) an appealing option if a big bonus offer came up. The problem is that with Delta typically pricing awards at very high amounts, this might be about as good as throwing the points away.
I’d definitely consider JetBlue as an option but with a lousy transfer rate (250 Amex= 200 JetBlue) and the upcoming addition of bag fees, this isn’t ideal either.
The rest of the transfer partners really don’t excite me either. If I traveled solo, I’d definitely consider KrisFlyer, Asia Miles or ANA.
In the end, I plan to make a move soon and send my current Membership Rewards points to British Airways. When adding these point to my current Avios haul, it will make for a healthy account which will give Kim and I some flexibility for future trip options.
If my 75K bonus from my Gold Business card posts before the bonus transfer deadline, then I’ll really have something to think about.
What do you think about the current 40% Avios transfer bonus offer from American Express? Are you going to take advantage of this offer or hold off until you have a need for your points?