At the end of September I wrote a post asking an interesting question- Who Owns the Overhead Bin Space?
Now obviously none of us actually own the space but do we pay for the right to get our fair share of storage up top?
Why is it fair that overhead bin space should have to be saved for those lugging on larger pieces of luggage while other bringing on smaller bags should have to use their precious foot space for those pieces?
In my post I wrote of a situation where a flight attendant told me that we pay for the seat, not the overhead bin space. This to me sounds like a sarcastic comment not a concrete rule but maybe I’m wrong.
I briefly looked around (online) and couldn’t find anything stating the rules of the overhead bin. What I did find were rules all about how much could be brought as a carry-on including the dimensions allowed for one of those larger roll aboard bags.
I’d love to read somewhere what the actual rules are. Who does “own” the overhead bin?
Would it be better if each passenger had an alloted small bin space up top (like a reader had commented in my other post about this topic)?
Is it wrong to stick your bag in an overhead bin at the front of the plane when you are sitting at the back? Is it wrong for a coach passenger to place their items in a bin in business class?
Does the person sitting in row XX have priority for the space in the bin labeled XX?
The list could go on and on…
Let’s find out how you feel by answering the questions below.
Who should have priority for overhead bin space?
- Nobody. All passengers should have equal rights to the space. (90%, 95 Votes)
- People bringing aboard a large piece of luggage. (10%, 10 Votes)
Total Voters: 105
Should passengers be allowed to use any available overhead bin on the plane?
- The overhead bin space should be used for the row directly under it. (63%, 74 Votes)
- Passengers should keep their luggage in the cabin they are sitting in (29%, 34 Votes)
- Yes (6%, 7 Votes)
- No (2%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 117
Polls close November 4 at 12:00AM
- Is It Work Upgrading to Economy Plus? Check out the results.
- What’s the Worst Place to Drive In the World? Check out the results.
- How Long Should You Wait for Customer Service Response?
- What Are the Most Annoying Travelers? Check out the results.
- Will Military Members Get Less Upgrades Due To Fakes?
- Is It Wrong To Visit Countries With Oppressive Regimes? Check out the results.