While the offer sounds very nice, it also requires a good amount of spend over the course of 6 months to earn the bonus miles.
Let’s take a closer look at the offer.
Barclays wants me to use my AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard.
To earn the bonus, I’ll need to spend $2,500 or more on the card each month from November 2016 through April 2017. For doing this, I’d then earn 30,000 bonus American Airlines miles.
I’ll also receive the miles I’d usually earn, meaning I’d also get at least another 15,000 AA miles.
If the spend is reached each month then the bonus will be awarded in June 2017 and will automatically post to my account a few days after.
- This is a targeted offer for select cardmembers and not transferable.
- To qualify, you need to register for/ activate the offer by November 30, 2016.
- $2,500 must be charged to the card each month from 11/16- 4/17.
- If you do not spend $2,500 or more in any of the 6 months, no bonus will be awarded.
With the offer, those of us that were targeted by Barclaycard will earn an additional 2X miles for each $1 spent if we spend the exact $2,500 each month.
Will I Try To Earn the Bonus?
Quick Answer: No
There’s a couple of reasons!
- I have lots of American Airlines miles and they’ve become extremely difficult to use. Most of the dates we can travel are during holidays. During these times, AA likes to charge ridiculous amounts of miles for award flights. Not nice!
- $2,500 per month for 6 months is a lot of spending to commit to earn 30,000 AA miles. During this time it’s highly likely that I’ll need to put the minimum spend on new credit cards to earn the sign-up bonuses.
Did you receive this bonus offer for the AAdvantage Aviator card? If so, do you plan to try to earn the bonus?