There are many great museums around the world. However, naming the best ones can definitely be subjective. I think if we were all asked to name our favorite museum, it’s safe to say that we’d get tons of different answers.
I highly doubt that some of my favorite museums would make any best-of lists.
One of my favorites, the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, features medical oddities. Another favorite would be The Viking Ship Museum in Oslo, Norway. I’ve also enjoyed various food museums and some art museums although I wouldn’t consider myself a big art fan.
I was looking over TripAdvisor’s Traveler’s Choice Awards and found their list of Top 25 Museums in the world to be an interesting mix of topics.
Museums that placed on TripAdvisor’s list were chosen by traveler reviews.
Here is the list: (museums in bold are ones I’ve visited)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art- New York City
- Musee d’Orsay- Paris, France
- Art Institute of Chicago- Chicago, IL
- Museo Nacional del Prado- Madrid, Spain
- Musee du Louvre- Paris, France
- State Hermitage Museum & Winter Palace- St Petersburg, Russia
- National Gallery- London, UK
- Rijksmuseum- Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Vasa Museum- Stockholm, Sweden
- National Museum of Anthropology- Mexico City, Mexico
- The Acropolis Museum- Athens, Greece
- British Museum- London, UK
- Van Gogh Museum- Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Accademia Gallery- Florence, Italy
- The National WWII Museum- New Orleans, LA
- Pergamon Museum- Berlin, Germany
- The Getty Center- Los Angeles, CA
- Smithsonian Air & Space Museum- Washington, DC
- Instituto Ricardo Brennand- Recife, Brazil
- Inhotim- Brumadingo, Brazli
- National Gallery of Art- Washington, DC
- Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum- Jerusalem, Israel
- The Museum of Quinn Terra cotta Warriors & Horses- Xi’an, China
- Museum of Latin American Art Buenos Aires- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Museum of New Zealand- Wellington, NZ
I’ve been to 11 of the 25 museums which made the list.
Some favorites that made TripAdvisor’s list would be the Van Gogh Museum, the Louvre, Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum.
Do you have any favorite museums? If so, please let us know in the comments below,
Find out about each of TripAdvisor’s top museums here.