I am guessing that we’ve all received gift cards for stores that we do not shop at and would love a way to get rid of them.
There are sites that you can sell the gift cards to (ex.Plastic Jungle) that pay you a percentage of their value. From what I could tell, Plastic Jungle pays back 75% + of face value on your gift cards.
Another option is to exchange your unused gift cards for airline miles.
By using the United MileagePlus Gift Card Exchange you can turn your gift cards into miles.
I received an e-mail last night from United about a bonus offer for the GC exchange.
For a limited time you can earn 40% more award miles when you exchange your gift cards.
Some of the Rules:
- Must be a US resident to participate
- Your MileagePlus account has to open for at least 30 days and have a positive account balance
- Gift cards must have at least $25 balance to do the exchange
- You’ll see the number of miles you will receive for your gift cards before deciding to exchange them.
- You don’t need to mail in your gift cards. The exchange will be done electronically.
- All gift card exchanges are final
- Log in with your United account info
- Select the merchant for the gift card you are looking to sell (over 100 to choose from)
- Enter your gift card info and they will convert the value into award miles
- Receive your miles within 5 business days
- $25 gift card= 940 miles
- $50 gift card= 1,870 miles
- $100 gift card= 3,730 miles
*The estimated miles earned include the limited time bonus.
In my opinion, exchanging your gift cards for miles is more or less another way of buying miles.
I’m not really interested in buying miles and never have done so. However, if you have gift cards collecting dust this might not be a bad way to get a decent return for them.