In New York City we’re lucky to be able to find food from pretty much every country in the world. (One man is even trying to eat authentic cuisine from every country in the world in NYC.)
Besides eating great food, it’s also fun at times to learn about specific kinds of food in museums. A French museum about wine was recently set to open.
I’ve also visited various food museums around the world like:
- The Friet Museum (French Fries) in Bruges, Belgium
- Waffle House Museum in Atlanta, Georgia
- Deutsches Currywurst Museum in Berlin, Germany
- Shin Yokohama Ramen Museum and Cup Noodles Museum in Yokohama, Japan
- Pizza Brain in Philadelphia, PA
- Chocolate Museums in various cities
The Museum of Food and Drink opened in NYC in late 2015 and now the city will be getting another museum, dedicated to a tasty dessert for a limited time!
Eater reports that the Museum of Ice Cream will be opening as a pop-up in the Meatpacking District in August.
With NY having no shortage of awesome ice cream shops, I think this sounds like a great idea. Some of our favorites are Davey’s, Odd Fellows, Ample Hills, Morgenstern’s and Van Leeuwen. (I’m sure that there are others that I am leaving out.)
The Museum of Ice Cream will have “art installations, history, ice cream samples, and an ice cream-themed playground of interactive exhibits like a life size pool of sprinkles“, according to Eater.
One of the partnerships will be Tinder Land (sponsored by Tinder) which will allow visitors to “discover their true flavor match” with an app. Ice cream will also be included with the admission. A food scientist will make custom flavors for the museum and each week a different NYC ice cream shop will create custom flavors and shakes.
Tickets will cost $18 per person, $30 for couples. It will be open from July 29 until August 31. The museum will be located at 100 Gansevoort St in NYC.
Find out more about the Museum of Ice Cream here.
- Lucas’s Favorite Part of Minnesota- Ice Cream
- Best Ice Cream Shops in America
- Design You Own Magnum Ice Cream Bar at NYC Pop-Up
- A Visit to the Magnum Ice Cream Bar NYC