Pizza is my favorite food and I’d guess that many share my opinion. I can’t imagine hearing from many people that they don’t like pizza!
While pizza is pretty much just dough, sauce and cheese, it comes in loads of different varieties. Thin crust, deep-dish, Neapolitan, Sicilian, bar-pies and more. There are so many styles of pizza and many cities are know for their take on pizza.
Conde Naste Traveler came up with a list of the The 14 Top Cities for Pizza in the World.
I was curious to see which cities made the cut and how many I’ve visited and ate pizza in!
Let’s take a look:
- Chicago: I love deep-dish pizza but wouldn’t consider it to be my favorite. While on trips to Chicago I never tried the thinner pies mentioned in CN Traveler’s article. So, I can’t comment whether it is good or not. I’ll take their word and give it a try next time I find myself in Chicago.
- New York City: I’d probably rank NYC #1 and it is definitely hard to say who makes the best pizza. I’d recommend New Park Pizza, NY Pizza Suprema, Rubirosa, Best, Totonno’s, Wheated and Sam’s as my top pick. Ask me tomorrow and I’d probably name a completely different group!
- Rome: We LOVED the pizza in Rome. Pizzeria Da Baffetto was a fun experience, Forno Campo de’Fiori was delicious and we loved the pizza which was sold by weight at Forno la Renella. And yes we ate pizza at other places, too!
- Orlando, FL: I’m a bit surprised to see Orlando on this list. We were told to give Via Napoli in Disney a try and it was nothing to write home about. I wasn’t recommended anything else worthwhile so that is all I have to go by.
- Naples: Haven’t been there.
- New Haven, CT: One of my top pizza areas in the world! While Pepe’s gets ranked as the top place to go, I much prefer Sally’s which is just down the block. I also recommend Zuppardi’s. During our next visit, I need to try BAR.
- Venice: I do recall eating some really good pizza in Venice, but the names of the places escape me.
- Edmonton, Canada: Haven’t been there.
- Florence: Kim and I visited Florence but I don’t remember trying pizza. However, I do recall enjoying some excellent pasta!
- Palermo, Italy: Haven’t made it there…
- Milan: Kim, Lucas and I visited Milan but I can’t say that I recall trying the pizza.
- Philadelphia: Philly is a great food city and I’ve had some great pizza there. Some favs are Tacconelli’s, Pizzeria Vetri, In Riva and Pizza Brain (which is a museum too!). The #1 target on my list for my next visit is Pizzeria Beddia, considered #1 in the US.
- Los Angeles: I haven’t been to LA since I was around 10 years old so I can’t say that I tried or recall how the pizza was. I would like to visit at some point but don’t know when that will be.
- Las Vegas: I’ve been to Vegas a bunch of times and can’t say that I had the opportunity to try out their pizza. Maybe next time!
What do you think of this list of top pizza cities around the world? Do you feel that any place was cheated and deserved a place on this list?
Find out more about each of CN Traveler’s Top 14 Pizza Cities here.
- Patsy Grimaldi Returns: Juliana’s Pizza- Brooklyn, NY
- Margot’s Pizza: An Awesome Pizzeria Within A Pizzeria, Bklyn, NY
- One of the Best Underrated Pizzerias in Brooklyn, NY
- The Daily Meal’s 101 Best Pizza in America 2015
- 2013: An Awesome Pizza Experience At Slice Out Hunger
- 2014: Certified Pizza Awesomeness: Slice Out Hunger