When it comes to packing for a trip the main decision I have is whether or not I’ll roll or fold, my clothes…
If I’m traveling with a backpack (I do on just about every trip), I always roll. When bringing along a suitcase, I tend to fold my things and place them in piles inside.
One packing hack that I learned from a Buzzfeed article was to place footwear in shower caps to “prevent the soles from touching your clothes“. I now cover the bottoms of my shoes with shower caps all of the time before packing them. The only problem I have is that the caps tend to rip relatively fast.
Since I’m always looking for ways to improve the travel experience, I was happy to come across a slideshow from Smarter Travel about Weird Packing Tips You Never Thought Of.
Here are the tips:
- Mail your stuff there– It might save you some money over paying bag fees but this seems like too much of a pain to bother with.
- Go to thrift stores– This doesn’t interest me as I like to buy new clothes. I also don’t want to waste my time in a new place shopping.
- Dump your duds– I’ve met some people that bring along clothes for trips that they then leave behind. I haven’t done this but it is an interesting idea.
- Mail your stuff back home– The article mentions to mail home dirty clothes. Again, I just don’t see doing this during a trip.
- Make your own washing machine– Using a plastic bag as a washing machine sounds interesting but for the things I wash during a trip, I’ll stick to using the sink.
- Get Strategic– I love this idea! The article suggests when traveling as a couple to pack two days of clean clothes in each other’s bags. This is just as a precaution in case a bag gets lost so one person won’t get stuck without clean clothes.
- Go Disposable– Disposable underwear- weird…
- Take a snapshot of your Samsonite– Take a picture of our luggage which can make it easier to describe (by just showing the photo) if your bags get lost.
- Leave it all behind– Become a minimalist and travel with a coat with many pockets to fill with basics or downsize your luggage, only bringing a carry-on. Some interesting ideas here…
What do you think of Smarter Travel’s packing tips? Do you see anything useful to start using from this slideshow?
If you have any packing tips for us, feel free to share.
Find out more about each of Smarter Travels’ Weird Packing Tips You Never Thought Of here.
Oh, here is one more from me- When packing your shoes/ footwear- stuff them with your socks or try to fit other small items inside.