I’ve written quite a few times in the past about my love for burgers.
While my favorite food would still probably be pizza, burgers have definitely caught up and come in just behind as my other favorite.
Check out some of my burger-related posts:
- Louis Lunch- Birthplace of the Hamburger- New Haven, CT
- Heavy Metal Burgers at Kuma’s Corner
- A Great TV Find: Jimmy’s Diner- Brooklyn, NY
- 5 Bizarre Burgers That I’ve Tried
- Zagat: 10 Crazy Burgers From Around the U.S.
- A Burger Worth Waiting For: Holeman & Finch- Atlanta, GA
- Are These The Best Burgers In America
- Shake Shack Opening In Tokyo In 2016
Since I’m always in search of great burgers (I recently tried a new one at Brooklyn’s Reynard which was really good), I was happy to come across a very interesting article from Eater.
Eater’s article, The 21 Essential Hamburgers of America features burgers in three categories:
- The Classics
- New Classics
- Ultimate Bistro Burgers
The article and burger choice were put together by “Eater’s in-house burger experts: restaurant editor Bill Addison and Eater NY senior editor/host of Eater’s upcoming The Meat Show Nick Solares, both avowed burger fans representing the different ends of the classic-to-bistro spectrum“.
When it comes to finding out about burgers around the US, I usually turn to George Motz, author, TV host and definitely a true burger expert. I’ve mentioned him in a few posts in the past-(Nashville, New Orleans, Milwaukee & Dallas). He has an app called Burger GPS which is really useful but is definitely in need of an update.
I was really looking forward to seeing which burgers made Eater’s list. I was also curious to see how many places I’ve been to.
Here are Eater’s 21 Essential Hamburgers of America:
- In-N-Out: Arizona, California, Nevada, Texas, Utah
- Workingman’s Friend: Indianapolis, IN
- Santa Fe Bite: Santa Fe, NM
- Pie ‘n Burger: Pasadena, CA
- Matt’s Bar: Minneapolis, MN
- All-American Driver-In: Massapequa, NY
- Town Topic: Kansas City, MO
- Au Cheval: Chicago, IL
- Craigie on Main: Cambridge, MA
- The General Muir: Atlanta, GA
- The Spotted Pig: New York, NY
- Husk: Charleston, SC
- Minetta Tavern: New York, NY
- Shake Shack: various locations
Ultimate Bistro Burgers:
- Le Pigeon: Portland, OR
- Nopa: San Francisco, CA
- Ray’s Hell Burger: Arlington, VA
- Salt & Time: Austin, TX
- The Grape: Dallas, TX
- The Cypress Room: Miami, FL
- Bernie’s Burger Bus: Bellaire, TX
After taking a look at Eater’s list, I was happy to see that I’ve tried 6 of their 21 essential burgers- almost one-third of their list!
There were also a bunch of others that I’ve heard of and plan to try out when the opportunity comes up in the future. The first one that I’ll most likely get to try is located maybe an hour from home in Massapequa, NY- the All-American Drive-In.
Are you a fan of the hamburger? If so, which places would you recommend that we give a try?
Find out about each of Eater’s 21 Essential Burgers here.