I came across a list of Most Visited Tourist Attractions in Europe from Travel + Leisure which was written in July 2012. I’d guess that some of the sites have changed in popularity over the past year but I still found it pretty interesting to read about.
T+L listed the Top 25 in a slide show. From the 25, I’ve been to 18 of them. I was a bit surprised at which site came in as the most visited for all of Europe. It’s a site that Kim and I weren’t even big fans of.
I listed the Top 10 below (11 are listed due to ties) and highlighted in bold the sites that I’ve visited.
- Grand Bazaar- Istanbul
- Notre Dame Cathedral- Paris
- Disneyland Park- Marne-la-Vallee, France
- Sacre Coeur Basilica- Paris
- Musee de Louvre- Paris
- St Peter’s Basilica- Vatican City
- Colosseum- Rome
- Eiffel Tower- Paris
- Cologne Cathedral- Cologne, Germany
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes- Lourdes, France
- Shrine of Padre Pio- San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
There were a couple of ties in the top 10: #s 3 & 4 and #s 9, 10 & 11.
What do you think of the list of most visited tourist attractions in Europe? Do you feel that there are any surprises? I was a bit surprised to see that the Cologne Cathedral was visited so frequently.
Check out Travel + Leisure’s full slide show HERE.