Today is a very special day for the Michael W Travels family.
Lucas is an amazingly friendly and happy little boy. He brings a smile to the face of most that meet him. He’s brought an unmeasurable amount of happiness to Kim and I over the last 2 years!
While we all love to brag about our kids, this is a blog about travel so today I want to reflect on Lucas’ 2 years of travel (and as a lap baby). Since he is now 2, Lucas has taken his last flight without needing his own ticket/ seat.
Many people thought that Kim and I would have to stop traveling once Lucas was born but this certainly has not been the case.
While our travels have changed a little, we don’t feel that he’s really held us back. I actually think that its even more fun and amazing getting to see the world having Lucas by our side.
Our travel style has more or less stayed the same.
- We still stay in budget places like hostels, guest houses and local hotels/ motels. However, we try to also mix in stays at nicer places using our points.
- We travel with public transportation when possible (trains all over Japan, buses around the Balkans etc.) but will sometimes splurge on a cab from the airport when arriving in a new place at an inconvenient hour for Lucas.
- I don’t feel that we’ve missed out on much when visiting new places. Some activities are not doable with an infant or toddler. There won’t be any quad bike tours or volcano hikes on upcoming trips but we still get in full days of sight-seeing and exploring.
Where has Lucas been? Lucas has been to 12 countries (including the U.S. and Kosovo which is a disputed territory) and 13 U.S. states.
(Don’t forget to check out the photos at the end of the post which include one from each of our international trips. There is also one from our trip to South Dakota included.)
Countries: (listed in the order/ age visited)
- United States (obvious)
- Barbados- First flight at 11 weeks old
- Singapore- 7 months old
- Indonesia (Bali)- 7 months old
- Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)- 7 months old
- Russia- 14/15 months old
- Japan- 18 months old
- Serbia- 20 months old
- Macedonia- 20 months old
- Kosovo (disputed territory)- 20 months old
- Albania- 20 months old
- Germany- 21 months old
U.S. States: States are listed in order visited (* = did not fly)
- New York* (obvious)
- New Jersey*
- South Dakota
Here are Lucas’ flight stats. Lucas has flown on every flight as a lap baby but did have his own seat during our recent flight home from Dallas. He sat in a seat for the first time ever during a take-off but then went on to be held for the duration of the flight.
Lucas has flown 53 segments for 91,144 miles which took 8 days 16:23.
- Economy: 41 flights- 77.4%
- Business Class: 11 flights- 20.8%
- First Class- 1 flight- 1.9%
- Economy: 46,146- 50.6%
- Business: 38,245- 42%
- First: 6,753- 7.4%
At the rate Lucas is traveling he might even make a run at challenging Lee Abbamonte to become the youngest American to visit every country in the world! (Yea not likely…)
Here are some photos of Lucas’ first 2 years of travel. Enjoy!
We’re looking forward to a great year of travel in 2014 and already have a bunch of trips planned. We leave later in the week on our first of the new year (and Lucas’ 1st in his own seat!