I came across an interesting travel competition recently on Twitter. The competition caught my eye because it is only open to teachers.
For those of you that do not know, Kim and I both teach special education. While our teaching positions would not qualify us for this competition in my opinion, I feel it is a great offer to share with other teachers out there that love to travel.
A little about the competition (according to Hilton):
Hilton HHonors has long believed in the power of travel to bring people together and foster great understanding between countries. As nurturers of the future generations of travelers, we believe teachers play an important role in spreading understanding of other cultures.
This year, Hilton HHonors is celebrating culture by giving teachers the chance to experience first- hard the lessons they teach through Teacher Treks, a grant program that will award 15 winners the cultural excursion of a lifetime.
Teachers enter by submitting an essay discussing cultural destinations they have always wanted to visit. They also have to explain how they would share the learnings and experiences from the trip with their students.
15 grants will be awarded to 15 teachers selected by public vote and an expert panel.
- Winnings teachers will travel to the destinations they wrote about and “chronicle their journeys and share their experiences with their students”.
- Winning teachers must travel during their 2013 summer break
- Each teacher’s school will also receive $2500 to use for cultural activities/ enhancements
- 15 winners will receive a trip to the destination of their choice, valued at $6,000 and a $2,500 donation for their schools
- 15 runner-ups will receive a $2,500 donation for their school
- One winner will be randomly selected from all submissions to receive a cultural excurions for their class valued at $1,500
- 10 random winners (selected from those who voted in the competition) will receive a Hilton HHonors $250 gift card
- Open to citizens of the 50 United States, Puerto Rico & D.C.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of entry?
- Only full-time, certified teacher grades K-12, teaching at least 3 years in the U.S., P.R. or D.C. qualify
- The Voting Sweeps is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, Puerto Rico or D.C. at least 13 years of age at time of entry qualify
- Enter by March 15, 2013
Find out more about the Teacher Treks Travel Grant Competition and enter for a chance to win one of the prizes HERE