While traveling both at home and abroad I’ve always been drawn to sites and museums which have a bit of a creepy and dark feel to them.
These sites usually include bones or medical oddities. They might even be a bit taboo but can often draw a crowd.
To get a better idea of the kind of sites I am talking about check out some of my posts:
- The Mutter Museum: A Museum of Medical Oddities
- The International Museum of Surgical Sciences
- A Shocking Collection of Oddities: The Kuntskamera
- The Skull Tower (In my Balkans Trip Recap of Nis, Serbia)
- 4,000 Skeletons at The Capuchin Crypt of Santa Maria della Concezione
- A Museum of Curiosities in Connecticut
- Ossuary at San Bernardino alla Ossa (In my Malta & Milan recap post)
I came across a slideshow from Travel + Leisure from 2012 which has what they call the “World’s Creepiest Attractions“.
I was definitely interested in seeing which sites made their list and figured that I had visited quite a few of them.
Here is T+L’s list:
- Capelados Ossos- Evora, Portugal
- Torture Museum- Amsterdam
- Port Arthur Historic Sites- Tasmania
- The Museum of Death- Hollywood
- Museo delas Momias- Mexico
- Winchester Mystery House- San Jose, CA
- Capuchin Catacombs- Sicily
- Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave- Belize
- Sedlec Ossuary- Czech Republic
- Mutter Museum- Philadelphia
- Manchac Swamp- Louisiana
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum- Cambodia
- Stanley Hotel- Colorado
- Isla de las Munecas- Mexico
- Pripyat- Ukraine
- Truk Lagoon- Micronesia
- Underground Paris
- Aokigahara Forest- Japan
- Siriraj Forensic Museum- Thailand
- Pine Barrens- New Jersey
- Kabayan Mummy Caves- Philippines
- Kasanka Bat Forest- Zambia
- Tunguska- Russia
- Gamarra Shaman Market- Peru
I was surprised to see that I’ve only been to 4 of the sites (highlighted) listed by T+L. I’d say that the most glaring ommission was the Kuntskamera in St Petersburg, Russia. I guess these type of lists are subjective so what can you do.
Do you like to visit creepy attractions? If so how many have you visited from the list? Have any recommendations that seem to fit in here?
Find out about each of the World’s Creepiest Attractions in the T+L slideshow HERE.