The date has been announced and registration is open for the 2014 JFK Runway Run 5K.
For those of you unsure of what a Runway Run is, here is a little info. A runway run is pretty much, exactly what it sounds like. It’s an organized race that takes place on airport runways. Runway runs are held at both large, international airports and smaller, regional airports.
After running in 4 Runway Runs in 2012, I only had the chance to run in 1 this year. I’m hoping to run in at least 2 runway runs in 2014 but that will all depend on my schedule. With lots of trips in the works for 2014, hopefully there wont be any conflicts.
Checkout my Runway Run Race Recaps:
- JFK Runway Run 2012
- Teterboro Airport Runway Run 2012
- LaGuardia Airport Runwau Run 2012
- Chicago O’Hare Runway Run 2012
- JFK Runway Run 2013
The JFK Runway Run will be on Sunday April 6, 2014. I ran this race 2 years in a row and it’s one of my favorites!
A little about the JFK Runway Run: (from the race site)
It is a very unique race as the main runway is actually closed to aircraft landing and taking off. Aircrafts are routed to land and take off from a secondary runway during the race. Runners actually run on the longest Runway at JFK which is almost 14,000 feet, although only a short portion of the main runway is used for the 5K race.
- The run is a 5K which is equal to 3.1 miles
- It is one of the major fundraisers for the JFK Rotary Club. Funds raised from the race go to support various causes.
- Entry costs $25 for adults, $20 for students 18 and under.
- Race T-Shirt (guaranteed to those registered by March 23), fruit, bagels, water & “takeaway bag”
- Entry into a drawing for roundtrip airline tickets
So who’s interested in running a 5K on a runway at JFK Airport?
Find out more about the JFK Runway Run and register for the 2014 race here.