I came across a Budget Travel article yesterday that I found interesting but not completely true. The article, You’ll Never Get These 10 Items Through Customs features some items that I have brought home in the past from international trips.
The articles claim that some items that you’d like to bring back as a souvenir should be passed up. Some are for health reasons, while others are for economic and cultural reasons.
Here is the list:
- Certain plants (and crafts made from plants)
- Ivory (including jewelery)
- Ancient artifacts
- Meat-based products (even soup mix)
- Big souvenirs from Cuba, Iraq and most of Sudan
- Most fruits and vegetables
- Designer knock-offs and cartoon charactetr paraphernalia
- More than $10,000 cash
- Some Haitian Goat Hide Drums