If you’d like to find out, there is a 25 question quiz provided which if fully answered will then create your Personal Dialect Map.
The map will show your three least and most similar cities.
About the survey:
- Many of the questions used in this quiz are based on those in the Harvard Dialect Survey, a lignuistics project begun in 2002.
- Quiz & map data come from 350,000+ survey responses from August- October 2013
So how did I do?
My most similar results: (map at top of post)
I was born in and have lived in Brooklyn, New York my whole life. After taking the quiz, the map showed my dialect to be most similar to New York, Jersey City and Yonkers. I didn’t know that Jersey City or Yonkers had a distinct dialect but I’d guess that the reslts are accurate.
The results are based on me giving the most distinct answer to a question for each of the three cities listed and the question happened to be the same for all. What do you call the rubber-soled shoes worn in gym class or for athletic activities? sneakers. So my answer of sneakers is what links me most to New York, Jersey City & Yonkers.
My least similar results: (map above)
My least similar map tells me that I am most different from Detroit, Spokane and Boise. This was pretty interesting since I haven’t been to any of these cities so far.
Again, the results are based on giving the most distinct answer to a question for each.
- Detroit- Q: What do you call the night before Halloween? A: I have no word for this.
- Spokane- Q: What do you call a big road on which you drive relatively fast? A: Highway
- Boise- Q: How do you pronounce the second syllable of pajamas? A: with the vowel in palm.
If you’d like to take the Dialect Quiz to find your three most similar & different cities, click here. Let us know in the comments below- where you are from and your results.