|photo from USA Today article|
USA Today has a fun list of Outrageous Food served at Minor League Parks. I’ve seen a few of these items on food- television shows. It was interesting to hear about other odd foods being served at parks around the country.
While some of these items sound pretty good, I am happy with the offerings of my favorite Major League team. The New York Mets are a tough team to watch these days but eating at their park Citi Field is always enjoyable. You can never go wrong with Shake Shack and some of the other tasty things offered.
Here is the list from USA Today:
- Twinkie Dogs– Battle Creek Bombers: It’s exactly as it sounds- hot dogs stuffed inside a Twinkie. I love Twinkies and hot dogs but am not sure if I’d want to try this one.
- Bacos– Western Michigan Whitecaps: a taco served inside a bacon shell
- The Fifth Third Burger– Whitecaps: a 4 pound specialty burger made from 5 burgers topped with chili, cheese, chips, salsa, lettuce and sour cream in a giant sesame seed bun.
- The Funnel Dog– Northwest Arkansas Naturals: a hot dog battered & friend with funnel cake and coated with powdered sugar. Sounds kind of interesting to me!
- Baseball’s Best Burger– Gateway Grizzlies: a burger with bacon and sharp cheddar placed on a Krispy Kreme glazed (and grilled) doughnut. I had a burger similar to this a couple of years back. It was weird but really good at the same time.
- Philly Cheesesteak Nachos– Grizzlies: tortilla chips with shredded chicken, Monterey Jack sauce and grilled pepper & onions.
- The Peanutbutter and Pepper Jelly Jalapeno Bacon Burger– Charleston RiverDogs: the ingredients all seem to be in the name. I had a burger in Milwaukee with peanut butter and it was shockingly good.
- BBQ Nachos– Memphis Redbirds: corn tortilla chips with pulled pork, spicy cheese sauce and sliced jalapenos.
- Red & White Hots– Rochester Red Wings: a combination of red & white hot dogs from Zweigle’s, the only hot dog brand sold at the stadium since the ’20s.
- Wicked ‘Wich Sandwiches with Fries & Slaw– Sacramento River Cats: a mobile food truck where you pick the meat (from pastrami to turkey to BBQ turkey to salmon & more) which is placed on to thick cut deli bread. Provolone cheese, seasoned fries and oil & vinegar slaw is then added.
- The Triple Play– Reno Aces: triple decker sandwich made with grilled slices of Pullman bread paired with pulled pork and brisket and a huge portion of cole slaw. The sandwich is topped with barbecue meatballs, pickles and cherry peppers.
- Country Bob’s Chicken Sandwich– Gateway Grizzlies: chicken breast sandwich topped with Country Bob’s apple- chipotle sauce, bacon and melted provolone cheese.