Here we are stuck in St Louis when we should already be home from our spring break trip to Argentina and Uruguay thanks to AA.
We booked our roundtrip flights using AA miles. The flights seemed like a good deal with the trip home being a bit of a pain. And then it got worse…
Our flight to Buenos Aires from NYC was direct and forgettable. Bad food, uncomfortable seats but there were some decent movie options.
The way home would include three flights, starting in Montevideo, Uruguay.
We started out on Thursday night flying MVD-MIA. We were surprised to see no IFEs at the seats, pretty surprising for a 9 hour flight. (No entertainment available on our personal devices via app either.)
We arrived in Miami with a 4 hour layover. After wandering around and grabbing breakfast, the time moved and we were ready to board the next flight to St Louis.
The seats on the St Louis flight were surprisingly comfortable and we arrived without issue at around 10:30 in the morning.
With a layover of around 5.5 hours, our plan was to head downtown for lunch, try some St Louis style pizza, take a look at the Gateway Arch and try some famous Ted Drewe’s custard before heading back for our flight home.
As we got into our Uber to the airportI received a text alert from AA informing us of a one hour flight delay.
When we got to there, I received another text about a gate change. Two minutes later, I received another text that our flight was cancelled and that they were working to rebook us. The text also said that an update would be sent soon.
I decided to call the AA Gold line to find out about our options. I was told right away that the cancellation was weather related. While on hold (14 minutes later), I received another text from AA to call to rebook.
After a lengthy amount of time on hold, I was told that there were no flights available until Monday! My first thoughts were that I’d miss work and need to spend three nights at a hotel.
I asked about flights with another airline and was told that nothing was available, everything was sold out due to the weather issues.
I then asked where we were supposed to stay for 3 nights and the rep said when there are cancellations due to weather, it was on us. In all honesty, I can understand one night due to weather but three? That just sounds crazy!
I then asked for a supervisor. After another 25 minute hold, she came on the line and told me the same info. She told me that the only flight home was at 4:08 PM on Monday.
As for the hotels, she said that no compensation could be given over the phone. I was really pissed and said I don’t want compensation, I just want somewhere to stay until the flight!
I moved the phone away from my mouth and yelled something over to Kim (she was sitting a bit away with the kids), there’s no bleepin flight until Monday. The rep said that I could not speak to her that way and hung up on me!
The hang-up was a minor blessing in disguise…
I immediately called back and got a rep who initially also saw flights home on Monday, but at a later time! She then did a minute or 2 of searching and got us flights home on Sunday with a connection in Chicago on another airline.
While not ideal, it’s still one less day that we’re stuck in St Louis.
As for our three- night hotel stay, I don’t understand how AA does’t bear some of the responsibility.
What do you think?