Besides credit card sign-up bonuses, the easiest ways to earn miles and points is by earning them through shopping and dining portals. These portals allow you to earn bonus points for things that you’re already purchasing.
One way to earn bonus United Airlines miles is through the MileagePlus X app.
MileagePlus X is currently offering a bonus of 500 United miles for your first purchase using the app. The offer is good until May 15, 2018.
How MileagePlus X works:
- Log into the the app using your United MileagePlus account info
- Search the app to see where to shop
- Purchase an e-gift card for the purchase amount
- Earn some extra United miles
- In each purchase transaction, you are purchasing an electronic gift card. Any returns or exchanges are subject to the applicable merchant’s policies, terms and conditions, and you may be entitled only to store credit. Some gift card purchases have a redemption deadline and associated refund opportunity.
- Browse merchants within MileagePlus X to view applicable earning rates.
- Fractions of miles will not be awarded for MileagePlus X transactions, and the number of miles awarded will be rounded down to the nearest whole number.
- You must be a new MileagePlus X user and will earn the bonus on your first mileage-earning purchase made via the app.
- First purchase must be completed by May 25, 2018. (I’d make the purchase by May 15 since that’s the date mentioned initially in the e-mail.)
- Please allow 6–8 weeks after the completed qualifying activity for bonus miles to post to your account.
Have you used the MileagePlus X app? If so, what are your thoughts about it?
I’ve been hesitant to use it for purchases because usually when you purchase an item with a gift card, if you return it, you’re given a gift card or store credit in return.