I’ve always been a big sports fan although currently baseball is the only sport that I only follow closely. While traveling I love to check out local sports. I’ve been to soccer games in Europe, Aussie Rules Football in Australia, Rugby in New Zealand and Muay Thai matches in Thailand.
I also like to add a bit of adventure to our travels just a little less now due to a certain little 18 month old named Lucas.
I recently came across a list of 20 Unmissable Extreme Sports (and where to try them) from Lonely Planet. The list was a fun read and I was curious to see if I had done any of these so-called extreme sports.
Here is the list: (with where to do them and my thoughts on each sport)
- Volcano Boarding– Leon, Nicaragua (I’ve never done this but I did climb up and run down parts of a volcano. I’ve also done a similar activity, sand boarding!)
- Downhill Mountain Biking– Bolivia (I used to mountain bike but downhill is dangerous and definitely not for me.)
- Freshwater Cave Diving– Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula (Diving isn’t one of my hobbies but this sounds pretty amazing.)
- Heli-Skiing or Boarding– North America and New Zealand (I don’t ski or snowboard)
- Bungee Jumping– Vanuatu (I briefly considered this in NZ but am afraid that I’d just get sick.)
- Extreme Ironing– All over ( This one really confuses me!)
- Zorbing– Rotorua, NZ (I saw this being done while in Rotorua. This isn’t for me)
- Ice Climbing– Colorado, Canada (This sounds like fun and is probably an intense workout.)
- Kite Surfing– Windy beaches all over (I tried this in Cancun on a badly sprained ankle. Let’s just say that I didn’t go very far.)
- Cheese Rolling– Gloucester, England (Sounds like a fun and hilarious event to watch in person.)
- Skydiving– Australia, Swiss Alps (Not something on my list but considered doing it while in Namibia.)
- Bouldering– North America, Europe (Sounds extremely extreme)
- White Water Rafting– Zambia, Nepal (I went rafting on the White Nile in Uganda. It was a really fun and exciting time. I definitely recommend it if you are a strong swimmer.)
- Ice Swimming– Finland, USA (I did the New Years Day swim with the Coney Island Polar Bears in 2012. Amazing experience that everyone should try once)
- Flowboarding– Bangkok, NJ, Yorkshire, England (I think I tried this out at a water park in Dubai with little success.)
- Zip-Lining– Costa Rica, South Africa (I did a small zip-lining course in Brazil. Lots of fun!)
- Slacklining– Vancouver (Looks like a fun but frustrating activity.)
- Snowmobiling– Michigan, US, Canada (I definitely plan to do this eventually.)
- Canyoning– Europe, South America (We did canyoning (abseiling) in NZ. It was amazing and I’d love to try it again.)
- Coasteering– Wales (Doesn’t sound like fun to me.)