What is the best airline alliance?
I guess that’s pretty much an open-ended question and one that could have many different answers depending on what the alliance is being judged on.
Recently, when it came to one specific category, oneworld came out on top.
At an international wine tasting competition called Cellars In The Sky Awards (ran by Business Traveller), “oneworld member airlines all but swept the board in the airline categories taking first prizes in nine of the 13 categories, along with 17 of the 36 runners-up placings“.
The awards ceremony took place in London “following blind tastings of hundreds of wines served on longhaul flights by 35 airlines from around the world, conducted by a panel of five leading experts”.
Star Alliance members won two first prizes and seven runner-ups and SkyTeam members won one and got three runner-ups.
British Airways was selected as the airline with the Best Overall Wine Cellar (while taking the prize for Best Business Class Cellar and 2nd in the Best First Class Cellar category).
The article from oneworld mentioned that they currently hold seven other “best airline alliance” titles.
Here they are: (from oneworld)
- FlightStats’ 2014 Airline Alliance On-Time Performance Service Award for the second time running.
- Skytrax’s World’s Best Airline Alliance 2014 for the second year running.
- Business Traveller’s 2014 Best Airline Alliance for the second year running.
- Premier Traveler’s Best of 2014 Best Airline Alliance for the second year running.
- Global Traveler’s 2014 GT Tested Best Airline Alliance for the fifth year running.
- World Travel Awards’ World’s Leading Airline Alliance for the 12th year running.
- Air Transport News’ Best Airline Alliance 2014.
Find out more about oneworld’s big win for in-flight wines here.