Delta wants to guarantee a speedy trip past the baggage claim and is offering a bonus if your bags don’t arrive within 20 minutes.
If your checked bags don’t make it to the luggage carousel in 20 minutes or less you’ll receive 2,500 bonus miles.
I like the offer but it certainly isn’t unique.
It seems to be that Delta is taking a page from Alaska Air’s baggage policies which was brought to my attention in the comments on a post from last month. (Check out the post Is Alaska The Best Airline here.)
Delta’s new checked luggage offer is currently running from now through March 31, 2015.
Considering Delta took away their award chart, we now don’t know for sure what an award flight will cost these days, making the value of SkyMiles even harder to figure out. Couldn’t they have just made this checked luggage guarantee a permanent offer?
How to receive your 2,500 mile bonus if your bags are late:
If your checked bag doesn’t show up in 20 minutes or less at the baggage carousel after a domestic flight, you can complete a form to get your miles.
The form must be submitted within 3 days of your flight’s arrival.
- Must be a SkyMiles member at time of travel
- “Requests for multiple flights must be submitted separately”
- Bonus miles should show up in your account within 2 weeks
- Offer good for all flights within the US and Puerto Rico
- “Limit one request per passenger per outbound or return travel regardless of number of checked bags”
- Delta’s baggage tracking system will keep track of time to baggage claim
- “Lost, mishandled, and damaged bags are excluded. Oversize and overweight baggage and special items are not eligible“.
Find out more about this promo by checking out the “Bags On Time” page where you can see the claim form and all of the rules.