I love coming across different kinds of “hacks”. Whether they be useful in everyday life or to help with my travel obsession, it’s always great to learn a new trick or two.
I came across an article (with a video) from Yahoo Travel which shares a few hotel travel hacks. Only one of these tips was new to me while the other two I wouldn’t typically think of as a hack.Either way, all of these hacks can be helpful and potentially save us some money during our hotel stays.
Here are the hacks:
- Charge your phone using the TV: According to the article many new HD TV’s have a USB port next to the HDMI port. You can use this to charge your phone. I’m just about always complaining to Kim about the lack of outlets in hotel rooms. This is a great trick to use an extra charging option. (I checked the TV in the room of the hotel we are currently staying. There was no USB port present…)
- Stock up before you go: Rather than use your hotel room’s mini-bar, go to the store and purchase what you think you will need. You can also stop by the hotel’s fitness center to usually fill up your water. I’ve never used an item from a hotel mini-bar. With the crazy mark-ups why would I! This “hack” should probably be more of a given for most.
- Join the hotel rewards program for free Wi-Fi: The article says that major chains like Hyatt, Hilton, Fairmont and Marriott offer various perks for joining their loyalty programs. Wi-Fi happens to be one of them. This isn’t always the case and sometimes you might need to use the free Wi-Fi in the lobby. (This was the case during our stay at the Hilton Helsinki at the end of the summer.) Either way, it (obviously) always pays to join loyalty programs for hotels. You never know what perks might come along with membership!
What do you think of Yahoo Travel’s Hotel-Hacks? Are these things you already do or did you learn something new?
If you have any other hotel-hacks to share, please let us know what they are in the comments below!
Find out more about Yahoo’s Hotel-Hacks here.
- 28 Brilliant Travel Hacks
- Life Hacks That Have Gone Too Far
- 18 Everyday Products You’ve Been Using Wrong
- 99 Lifehacks That Could Make Your Life Easier
- 27 Genius New Products You Had No Idea Existed
- 33 Useful Websites You Never Knew Existed
- Hacks Used To Travel Smarter