Like most little boys, Lucas loves trains. He first started saying the word (train) last June during our trip to Japan. We went all over the country, getting great use out of our rail pass and Lucas loved it!
I don’t know what it is about trains and train toys (like Thomas & Chuggington), but just about all boys love them!
Besides our trip to Japan, we haven’t done many trips which included extensive use of the rails. The only other trip for Kim and I that comes to mind would be taking the trip up to Aguas Caliente in Peru to see Macchu Picchu.
Conde Naste Traveler came up with a slideshow featuring Scenic Train Rides Around the World.
According to CNTraveler, These nine locales as varied as the Pacific Northwest, Southeast Asia, and Norway offer majestic views you won’t see from any other mode of transport.
Here is a list of the 9 Scenic Train Rides:
- Amtrak’s Empire Builder– Follow in the footsteps of Lewis & Clark as you travel from Chicago to the Pacific Northwest.
- Amtrak’s Coast Starlight– 35 hours ride where you’ll see natural beauty traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles.
- The Skeena– 2 day Rail Canada trip from Jasper National Park in the Rockies to Prince Rupert on the Pacific Coast.
- The Canadian– A transcontinental journey which spans much of Canada’s southern landscape.
- Eastern & Oriental Express– Luxury train ride offering 9 different trips through Asia.
- The Alaska Railroad– Check out Alaska’s beauty by taking a ride through the countryside.
- Flam Railway– A 50 minute ride provides amazing views in Norway.
- Taieri Gorge Seasider– Travel along New Zealand’s Pacific cliffs, north of Dunedin, stopping at beautiful spots along the way.
- Soundtransit’s Sounder– Washington state’s public transit system offers pictursque views of Puget Sound.
I can’t say that I love the idea of being on a train for an extended period of time but some of these journeys do sound pretty interesting. The Flam Railway, at only a 50 minute ride would definitely be appealing to check out. One of these days, I’d like to try out an overnight train trip but I’m not sure when that will be.
Have you ever taken an extended train journey? If so, how was it?
Find out more about each of the 9 Scenic Train Rides from CNTraveler HERE.