The sixth annual National Train Day will be held on May 11, 2013.
Events will be held all around the country. It’s a “nation- wide celebration of trains and train travel”.
Here is are a couple of infographics about why trains matter
- Connectivity: Amtrak is connecting the dots. Friends and families come together, and businesses expand their reach on our trains. From big cities to small towns, coast to coast, trains matter because they keep America together.
- 500 destinations in the U.S. and Canada
- 31.2 million people rode Amtrak trains in 2012
- 3 passengers riding Amtrak trains VS. 1 passenger flying
- 25 million Americans live within 25 miles of an Amtrak station
- Economic Impact: Amtrak is American business. While employing thousands, and connecting businesses and communities across the country, Amtrak trains keep America’s workforce moving towards the future.
- 276 different pairs of cities are served on one of Amtrak’s routes
- 50% of Amtrak’s daily trains reach 100 miles or more per hour
- 20,000 people employed by Amtrak
- 73% of Acela riders are traveling on a business trip
Find out more about National Train Day and find an event near you HERE.