I’ve already done two 5K runway runs this year and tomorrow my third one is coming up at LaGuardia Airport (LGA).
My brother mentioned the idea of taking a quick trip to Chicago to run in the O’Hare 5K On The Runway about two weeks ago. He saw a post about it on Milepoint (a frequent flier site we are both members of).
Kim and I went to Chicago a few years back and had a great time. We’ve wanted to go back but this will be a quick visit with my brother. (I’ll definitely miss Kim and Lucas while I’m away!)
We leave from New York for Chicago early in the evening on October 18 and head back home in the afternoon on October 20. We’ll have a little over a day and a half in Chicago and plan to make good use of our time!
To make this brief trip happen our goal was to keep the trip costs as low as possible. We looked at quite a few options for our flight and hotel. It seemed like we took more time planning the trip than the time we will be away!
- The Flight: After going back and forth with a variety of options, we ended up booking our flight with Delta using miles. We each used 25K Delta SkyMiles and paid $5 tax to fly JFK-ORD roundtrip.
- The Hotel: The debate was staying at an airport hotel vs. staying downtown. Each option had it’s pros and cons but due to the 5K starting so early on Saturday morning, the airport won. The decision became even easier thanks to the Radisson 1 for 1 promotion– Stay 1 Night, Get 1 Night. We each booked one night at the Radisson Hotel O’Hare which cost $98. (We found a code which brought the price down from the original price of $135) With the 1 for 1 promotion we will each earn a free night at any Radisson Blu or Radisson hotel in the US, Canada or Caribbean.
The Runway Run:
The Chicago Department of Aviation and United Airlines are hosting the O’Hare 5K on the Runway and Community Day.
A little about the runway run (from the race website):
The event will be a one-of-a kind opportunity to experience the runway like few people do and share in a Community Day after the race filled with fun for the whole family, entertainment and food. The course will feature the display of a United Airlines aircraft. The Day s festivities will begin with a brief program to start the race. Following the conclusion of the race, a portion of the course will be open to the community for viewing and photo opportunities in front of the United aircraft.
- The race benefits Wounded Warrior Project
- Walk & Photo-op on the Runway
- Strollers are allowed on the course
- Free entry to Community Day
- Entry includes a T-shirt
- Free parking
The run takes places on October 20 at 8:00am
Find out more and sign up for the O’Hare 5K on the Runway HERE